Access to a broad range of high-quality private credit and real assets
Customised implementation and governance
ESG embedded within the credit process
Diversified private credit portfolios allow defined benefit and defined contribution pension schemes to access private market assets including infrastructure projects, real estate projects and corporate entities – traditionally the preserve of banks.
We believe exposure to such assets can provide investors with several benefits:
- A better match of liabilities than liquid strategies
- Enhanced return potential beyond gilts and investment grade credit
- Stable cashflows backed by high-quality collateral
- Limited market exposure, lower default rates, improved overall portfolio sharpe ratios
In creating a diversified portfolio of secure income generating assets, diversification is of critical importance. Often idiosyncratic in nature, the underlying asset classes can diversify well against each other and traditional liquid components of portfolios, minimising tail risks.
Equally, a holistic multi-asset approach with active asset allocation can minimise timing risks and reduce the potential for opportunity costs that traditional static allocations often suffer from.
Our Diversified Private Credit Strategy follows a disciplined three-step process:
- Solution structuring: determine risk/return profile, asset allocation and vehicle structure
- Origination: originate and execute investment in eligible assets, incorporating quality, value and ESG considerations
- Monitoring and review: ongoing portfolio and cash flow management, as well as an annual review
Our team and expertise
The day-to-day management of diversified private credit portfolios is the responsibility of our Multi Asset, Quantitative and Solutions (MAQS) team, a dedicated multi-asset investment team that combines the best of both our fundamental and quantitative expertise.
The MAQS team leverages our Private Debt and Real Assets (PDRA) investment group to access the underlying asset classes, namely global loans, SME loans, US mid-market loans, structured finance, infrastructure debt and commercial real estate debt.
PDRA, a team of over 100 investment professionals, has a long-term track record in the technical underwriting of private credit, with established networks of project sponsors offering sustainable origination, supplemented by proprietary BNP Paribas Group origination partners.
ESG: Environmental, Social and Governance
- Any views expressed here are those of the author as of the date of publication, are based on available information, and are subject to change without notice. Individual portfolio management teams may hold different views and may take different investment decisions for different clients. This material does not constitute investment advice.
- Investing in emerging markets, or specialised or restricted sectors is likely to be subject to a higher-than-average volatility due to a high degree of concentration, greater uncertainty because less information is available, there is less liquidity or due to greater sensitivity to changes in market conditions (social, political and economic conditions).